Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Analysis on class

The most useful part of this semester in JOUR 3101 has been learning AP style.  When I entered the class I was completely unaware that print news reporting had its own 'style' that it followed.  I still have much to learn and know with AP style, but it is something that I know I cannot completely memorize.  I can only know what I should recognize when writing or proofreading articles.

The least useful part of the class I would say is the powerpoints and lectures.  I don't feel like I have completely benefited from the lectures that the class has on Tuesdays.  I only found myself referencing the slideshows themselves and my notes a few times throughout the entire semester.  It was a lot more useful to have hands on information, like the labs every Thursday, that helped me learn and recognize things that need to be changed while writing articles.

I do find myself reading news differently.  I have noticed AP errors in magazines and newspapers that I would no have recognized before.  I can also tell while watching broadcast if something on the prompt was written incorrectly or it was a public service announcement.

No comments:

Post a Comment