Tuesday, February 23, 2010

House explodes in Edina

A house exploded in Edina, Minn. after a natural gas leak on Feb. 23 just before 3 p.m.  There have been no injuries reported as fire crews from Edina and the surrounding cities have fought to put the fire out.  It is suspected that no one was home when the explosion happened reports the Star Tribune.

The explosion was sparked by an a worker who was excavating the area when they hit the natural gas line.  CenterPoint Energy was contacted immediately to be told about the leak.  A block away from the leak, a house exploded and caught fire about two hours after the the line was hit.

Witnesses reported that they heard and felt the explosion up to six blocks away from the site.  There was an evacuation of many homes up to a two block radius.

The fire is currently still being put out and the neighborhood is still evacuated.  The evacuation is a precaution because the gas line running through the area has not been able to be turned off yet.

1 comment:

  1. This story was intriguing to me because you do not often hear about a house “blowing up” especially in the metro area. I was further intrigued because this is a local story. I felt that this story is applicable to everyone locally because locals need to know if this is a act of negligence on Xcel Energy’s part that may affect them, and they need to know if their house will be the next one that explodes. The resolution to this story is very significant to me.
    The link in this story was well placed very visible and accessible; your version of the story covers all necessary information from the original so I don’t think anybody would find the need to follow the original link.
    I had no idea about this story before reading it on your blog, I find this weird because I would think something like this would be all over the local news, but I’ve heard nothing about it. That means you made a good selection in choosing your story.
    The original coverage of the story was too long and it was not concise enough for me, there were a great deal of quotes that were used in my opinion just to be used they did not further the story to me. I like your summary of the story because it doesn’t go on forever and it gives me the necessary story elements.

    ReplyDelete